!privacy_agreement!
!privacy_agree!

PHOTOGRAPHY

[Tutorial] Low light long exposure shots.

2018-10-04 14:21:47
349 3
Low light long exposure shots.

What equipment is needed to shoot long exposures?
  • A tripod – this is a good piece of equipment to have in most instance, but is a critical piece of equipment for shooting long exposures. Make sure your camera is properly mounted onto the tripod before you start shooting.
  • POCO f1 – obviously you will need a camera, but many people assume you can only do this type of photography with a DSLR. But with the manual mode in Poco f1 we can manually adjust shutter speed and ISO to make this possible.
  • Warm clothes and comfortable shoes – depending on where you live, and the time of year you plan to be shooting, you may need to dress warmly. Long exposures work well after dark and it may get cold, so be sure to wear warm clothes. Be sure that you have comfortable footwear too as you may be standing for a few hours.

What subjects are best for long exposure photography?

Long exposures work well for certain types of subjects like seascapes, landscapes, and cityscapes. The key to getting a successful long exposure image is to have something in your image that is perfectly still and something that is moving. Water, clouds, and trees blowing in the wind all work well if the rest of the scene is stationary. This difference between the elements in the scene will create drama and will add significant value to your image. The viewer will be seeing something that cannot be seen with the naked eye. The reason why long exposure images are so compelling is that they warp time. The water looks like a soft mist, trees look like a dull blur and clouds become long and streaky.

When is the best time of day to shoot long exposures?

It’s normally a good idea to shoot long exposures as the sun is setting, or just after sunset. My suggestion is to be on the scene an hour before sunset. That way you can test some shots, make sure your composition is good and be sure all your settings are correct. Then wait. Personally, sometimes I will simply sit there and enjoy the scene, other times I may listen to some music, but I like to be relaxed and ready for when the light starts to work. Normally you will want to start shooting about 15 minutes before the sun has completely set and up to an hour after it is below the horizon. The important part is to be willing to experiment. Each time you decide to shoot long exposures will be a little different. The light may be brighter than you think, the sunset may not be as dramatic as you hoped, or the shot may not be just as you imagined. Be patient and experiment. I will sometimes go back to a location two or three times to try and get the shot I am looking for. Once I have it though, the sense of reward is fantastic and the patience and effort are paid off!

So theory classes are over now! ;P

Open Manual Mode in POCO f1 - Place your phone mounted in a place with the desired scene that you what to capture. - Change ISO to 100 - Change Shutter Speed(S) to 16s - Take the photo using the timer to 3s (To avoid camera shake).

That's it try changing the settings and do experiments to understand better about the camera.

So what kind of shots you can take with these settings.
  • You can write your name in light with a torch
  • Capture light trails in the streets
  • Capture fireworks in the sky.
  • And its all up to your creativity.

There are no limits to your imagination.

Reply to this thread with your low light long exposure shots. and explain your adventure on taking those pics and the camera settings you used. #POCOPOCOPOCO #GOPOCO

2018-10-04 14:21:47
Favorites RateRate

Top Cat

Sunny | from mobile

Usefull details..
2018-11-04 05:05:01
Big MIUI Fan!✌️
Nice info....
if anyone wants further info then a webpage is here https://digital-photography-scho ... ht-trails-at-night/
2019-01-13 22:15:05
Nicely written, but images are missing :)
2019-01-15 09:10:17